There’s a misconception among many homeowners that exterminators should only be called when there’s a visible pest problem. However, professional pest control services extend far beyond getting rid of infestations. In today’s article, Gregory’s Pest Control experts walk you through the importance of scheduled pest control and what to look for in a local provider.
Just like routine visits to the dentist for a cleaning, regularly scheduled pest control services throughout the year is critical – both for preventing issues and stopping developing ones in their tracks. One huge downside to the balmier weather and milder winters that Floridians enjoy year-round is that temperature-sensitive pests like mosquitoes and ants remain active and reproduce for much longer, increasing the chances of an infestation in your home.
Many of these bugs also prioritize survival by hibernating and laying eggs when it becomes too cold. This can result in a nasty surprise for homeowners who think their pests have all died off during the winter when they’re lying in wait.
Infestations don’t happen overnight. They develop for months, sometimes years, with pests latching on to food sources and making a home in dark corners and untouched areas of your kitchen, attic, or walls. Then they reproduce. While you may not notice warning signs like grease stains or tiny insect wings on windowsills, a professional pest control service provider knows, based on training and experience, what to look for. This is just one of the benefits of regularly scheduled exterminator visits.
Here’s Why You Need Routine Pest Control
In addition to early detection of pest problems, routine pest control saves time and money.
- Reduce extermination and repair costs – Treating a full-blown infestation is much more expensive than scheduling smaller pest control checkups throughout the year. When you factor in the hundreds or even thousands in damage caused by pests like termites, this should be a high-priority part of maintenance for homeowners.
- Protect against illness and disease – Pests are more than nuisances. They carry and spread numerous life-threatening diseases such as malaria, hantavirus, and encephalitis. Keeping them out of your space is critical in maintaining the health of your household.
- Maintain the quality of your living space – Noise, fecal matter, shedding, stains – these are just a fraction of the negative ways pests affect the look and comfort of your home. Frequent pest control checkups limit their chances of entering your home and finding the resources they need to create an infestation.
How Often Should Pest Control Be Done
As we’ve mentioned, Florida’s climate makes its residents particularly susceptible to pest activity even during the winter months, as temperatures remain milder than in Northern states. Winter also doesn’t get rid of the pests that were active in earlier seasons – many enter a state known as diapause, and wait for warmer weather to return full force.
Bearing this in mind, it’s clear that pest control maintenance should be ongoing and can take place at any time. We recommend having an exterminator come in at least four times a year, though you may choose to request more frequent visits. For instance, if dealing with a neighbor refusing to address their infestation and allowing pests to breed close to your home, six times a year may be the better option.
The specific days don’t matter as long as visits are properly spaced. You can coordinate with your pest control provider on what works best for you.
Choosing The Right South Florida Exterminator for Scheduled Pest Control Services
When finding your ideal exterminator, we recommend going with a trusted local provider that has a proven track record. The type of pest infestations, risk factors, and vulnerabilities you face can differ significantly between regions and states, and a local pest control company will be much more familiar with the most effective treatment and prevention plans for your area.
As you carry out your search, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Ensure your provider is licensed – Pest control involves chemicals that can be very harmful if not applied properly. Since maintenance services will be done multiple times a year, get an exterminator who will do it right every time.
- Look for reviews and testimonials – Before contacting a pest control company, look for what your friends and fellow Floridians have to say about their experiences.
- Your plan should be customized – Everyone’s home and pest vulnerabilities differ. If an exterminator arrives to treat your home without first doing a preliminary inspection, you may want to consider other options.
- Read your contract carefully – Don’t get locked into exploitative terms and hidden fees. If the services received are not up to scratch, you should be able to walk away.
Pest Control Services from Gregory’s
The safest, most effective way to remove bugs, pests, and rodents from your Florida home is to get a full-service treatment from a professional pest control provider.
Gregory’s Pest Control, based out of Coral Springs, Florida, has over thirty years of experience protecting families in Broward, Palm Beach, and other South Florida areas from infestations. We also have a barrier protection program to eliminate entry points and breeding areas, and an advanced maintenance service that sees one of GPC’s expert personnel returning for a checkup every 60-90 days.
Contact us today to get a free quote or schedule a complimentary pest evaluation visit.