Homemade and store-bought mosquito control can be effective for small infestations, but once they start swarming the home, it’s time to get professional help.
Mosquitos are not an uncommon sight in and around South Florida homes, particularly during the warmer months. While they are most active in summer, they can start appearing as early as February, making themselves a nuisance as they find their way into backyards and through windows and doors to start breeding in any standing water they can find.
While small, infrequent sightings of these pests can typically be cleared out with generic store-bought or homemade pest control products, they should always be taken seriously. Mosquitos carry a host of dangerous diseases, and a single bite from an infected mosquito can result in a medical emergency or even death. In the case of some mosquito-borne viruses like Zika, the infected can continue to spread their infection to others long after the disease-carrying mosquitos have been eliminated.
Should your mosquito issue be small enough for you to deal with it on your own, it is critical to exercise caution when handling pest control substances such as sprays and aerosols, especially with kids and pets in the house. However, if it starts to get out of hand, you should not hesitate to contact a pest control professional as soon as possible.
Do I Have a Mosquito Infestation?
Seeing a mosquito now and then is not a sign of a mosquito infestation. There are around 80 different species of mosquito scattered across South Florida and the rest of the state, and in rainy months, they can breed and spread fairly quickly. Ideally they would stay away from homes altogether, but here are four telltale mosquito infestation signs to keep an eye out for one winter has wrapped up:
- Seeing More Mosquitos Especially in the Daytime – This is the most obvious sign of an infestation, primarily because mosquito activity is highest at night. If you start seeing more mosquitos in the day than usual, there’s a good chance they found a breeding site some time ago, and their numbers are now high enough that their activity is rising as well.
- Frequent Buzzing Sounds – The sound of a mosquito buzz is uniquely annoying and very hard to miss. If you find yourself swatting at your ear more often to get these annoying pests to leave you alone, you may have a mosquito infestation on your hands.
- More Mosquito Bites and Itching – Male mosquitos are highly unlikely to bite and tend to only hover near humans – preferring to feed on plant sap, nectar, and honeydew. Female mosquitos, on the other hand, feed on blood to get the protein they need to produce eggs. If you are getting bitten often and scratching due to the itchiness in mosquito saliva, you may have a number of egg-laying female mosquitos in your home.
- The Appearance of More Natural Predators – Increased mosquito activity in any given area will attract natural predators such as dragonflies, bats, frogs, and birds looking to eat their fill. If you’re seeing more of these in your yard, it may be due to an abundance of mosquitoes or another insect.
As a general rule, if a mosquito problem has been persisting over weeks or months despite your best efforts to use DIY methods to get rid of it, this is most likely an infestation.
The Benefits of Professional Mosquito Control
While pest control professionals can handle mosquito issues of any size, you might hesitate to get in contact unless the infestation is really severe. However, in addition to getting rid of all mosquitos and other pests in and around your home, great pest control professionals offer several benefits to homeowners in Coral Springs, Broward, Palm Beach, and the rest of South Florida.
- Keep You and Your Family Safe – Environmentally-friendly pest control methods are now widely available, so you have the option of minimal disruption to your routine and no toxic residue left lingering around your home when a treatment is done. In contrast, many repellents and sprays contain chemicals that are harmful to humans, animals, and plants, and should be avoided whenever possible.
- Effective Long-Term Mosquito Removal – Most solutions homeowners apply to a large mosquito infestation only temporarily reduce the problem as, without proper 360 treatments, small mosquito populations can quickly re-multiply if they are not all eliminated and their breeding sites removed. By getting a pest control professional to come in, you’ll have an expert set of eyes going over your property, identifying weaknesses, and then carrying out a mosquito control treatment that lasts.
- Ongoing Maintenance and Prevention – A good pest control professional will have maintenance options for routine checkups to be done on your property. This will allow any potential new breeding sites and entry points to be identified, and keep your home mosquito-free throughout their active seasons.
How to Get the Best Professional Mosquito Control in Coral Springs
Once you’ve made the decision to contact a pest control professional for your mosquito infestation, it’s important to know what you should be looking for in a service provider. When going through their websites or speaking to them on the phone, here are some key areas of service you should ask about:
- Local Experience – The behaviors, risks, and optimal treatments for pests in any given area can vary wildly. If you live in places like Coral Springs, Florida, and want a pest control professional who understands exactly what you’re facing, it’s best to deal with an experienced company that has had a decent amount of satisfied local clients
- Certifications and Licensing – Even when environmentally friendly, professional pest control equipment and substances like insecticide require certification and licensing to operate. Improper application of a treatment can lower the effectiveness, and if the treatment involves harsher options, this can negatively affect the health of those in the home.
- Evaluation and Tailored Treatment Program – No two homes and yards are alike, and a pest control professional should not start working until an evaluation of your property has been completed. Depending on factors like entry points, landscaping, and more, your treatment process can change greatly, and you will need specific tips on how to reduce or eliminate future issues.
- A Satisfaction Guarantee – Infestations of any kind can severely affect your quality of life. Considering the types of diseases mosquitos can spread, it is doubly important you get your money’s worth when investing in pest control services. Make sure your mosquito control professional will get the job done right.
The safest, most effective way to eliminate and repel mosquitos from your Florida home is to get a full-service treatment from a professional mosquito and pest control provider.
Gregory’s Pest Control, based out of Coral Springs, Florida, has over thirty years of experience protecting families in Broward, Palm Beach, and other South Florida areas from mosquito infestations. Our 20-point inspection during the consultation phase ensures our treatment is tailored to your property’s needs. We also have a barrier protection program to eliminate breeding areas and an advanced maintenance service that sees one of GPC’s expert personnel returning for a checkup every 21-30 days.