Bed bug infestations are common happening in US homes, especially in Florida, where common bed bugs (Cimex lectularius) and tropical bed bugs (Cimex hemipterus) are present. The early signs of bed bugs include itchiness, loss of sleep, etc. In some cases, bugs work as competent vectors for different pathogens. All these reasons make you get rid of these bed bugs as soon as possible. While it’s tempting to take things into your hands, you should not do DIY bed bug treatment and trust an expert. Why?
Because most of the time, DIY bed bug treatments are not effective, and you may end up spending hundreds of bucks on ineffective chemicals. We have listed the risks associated with DIY bed bug treatments and the benefits of calling a professional.
Risks of a DIY Bed Bug Treatment
The many risks associated with a DIY bed bug treatment are:
1. Not Getting Access to Hidden Bugs
Bed bugs are very small and flat, and they can easily slip inside your mattress or into other nooks and crannies in your home. It can take you some days or weeks to get rid of bed bugs from one furniture piece, and you will still have them running in other places. Additionally, the bugs you see clearly on the surface are just a small part of their population – most of them reside inside the furniture – away from your eyes. This means even if you try your best, you cannot get rid of all the bed bugs through bed bug DIY treatment.
2. Toxic Chemicals Can Harm Your Health
Different chemicals are available in the market, advertising labels of effective bed bug treatment and removal. However, this isn’t true! These chemicals may help you kill a few of the bed bugs, but they don’t completely eliminate them. Instead of getting rid of annoying bugs with these chemical sprays, you will end up destroying the indoor air quality of your home.
Poor indoor air quality means you, your loved ones, and even your pets are vulnerable to allergies and respiratory issues. In the worst-case scenario, this DIY bed bug treatment can lead your family to the hospital due to asthma or other breathing issues.
3. You May Give Them Time to Breed
While a DIY bed bug treatment sounds like a cool and cost-effective solution, it’s not! Do-it-yourself treatments take days, if not weeks, to show results. This gives bed bugs a chance to find more nesting places where they can hide, breed, and multiply. So, the infestation that started as a small issue may end up being a severe headache due to these ineffective or slow treatments.
4. Pose a Potential Fire Risk
Many people think killing bed bugs through heat treatment is the best and most effective DIY bed bug treatment. The heating treatment to kill bed bugs involves consistently giving a high temperature of 113°F to 118°F to the infested area for a duration of 90 minutes or more.
However, considering the safety of your home and loved ones, performing a heating treatment without professional assistance is a really bad idea! For instance, if you accidentally get near a flammable object when using this technique, you may do more harm to your home and family than good.
Why Hiring a Professional Bed Bug Exterminator is a Good Idea?
Hiding a professional bed bug exterminator instead of relying on a DIY bed bug treatment comes with many benefits. These include:
- Comprehensive Inspection: A professional bed bug exterminator thoroughly inspects your property to determine the extent of the infestation. They are skilled at finding bed bugs in their hiding places, such as cracks, crevices, furniture, and electrical outlets. This detailed inspection helps in creating a targeted treatment plan.
- Quick Clean Up: Bed bugs are very difficult to deal with, and once you kill them, you have another strenuous task – cleaning up the mess. Of course, you aren’t a professional, so you may find it difficult and hectic to completely remove the leftover dirt. But nothing to worry about as the bed bug removal experts not only exterminate the bugs but also quickly clean the area. They also offer you different tips to keep your home clean and bug-free!
- Utilize Modern Equipment: The bed bug control team also has vast knowledge and utilizes modern equipment to ensure the efficiency of the bed bug treatment. They can access effective pesticides and other equipment like bed bug detectors, etc. Moreover, they follow proper safety protocols and ensure you and your family stay safe during removal.
Bed bugs are common in many homes and cause itchiness and deprive you of quality sleep. Trying a DIY bed bug treatment to remove these annoying pests may seem appealing, but it’s ineffective. Instead, you end up with different cons of bed bug treatment, like fire hazards, chemical overuse, etc. That’s where Gregory’s Pest Control got you covered!
We use the most efficient, effective, and environmentally friendly products to handle all your worst bed bug problems. Moreover, we are affordable and ensure 100% satisfaction of our customers. So, whether you are in Coral Springs or Parkland, get in touch with us, and we’ll be happy to assist you!
Owner/President of Gregory’s Pest Control
I’m a 2nd generation pest control owner who started working for my father in 1999. I was raised in South Florida and feel blessed to call it home for my entire adult life. As a long-term Florida resident, I recognize the challenges of controlling the many different pests that thrive in our subtropical climate. In particular, I understand how difficult it can be to prevent pests from invading our homes and businesses. By helping families solve their pest problems so they can live safer, more comfortable lives, I feel I am also meeting my family’s commitment to help our community. When I’m not out fighting pests, you can find me on the golf course or out on a soccer field where I have been fortunate enough to coach soccer to kids of all ages for the past 20 years.